Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | MonkeyNotes
_____ 1. This poem relates the adventures of the
A. Anglos and the Saxons
_____ 2. Herot is the home built by
_____ 3. Hrothgar is to young Beowulf as old Beowulf is to
_____ 4. Comitatus is
A. the bond between king and warrior
_____ 5. When we first meet Beowulf, he appears
A. calm and self-confident
_____ 6. When Beowulf grabs Grendel's hand, the monster
A. immediately wants to escape
_____ 7. The Beowulf poet repeats scenes for the following reasons
I. for variety
A. I only
_____ 8. Grendel's mother kills
A. Hrothgar's friend Esher
_____ 9. Hrothgar warns Beowulf against
_____ 10. Beowulf becomes king of the Geats
A. when Higlac dies
11. What do you learn about Anglo-Saxon society from reading the poem?
12. Define an epic. Discuss the reasons why you would describe Beowulf as an epic poem.
13. In what way was the poet influenced by Christian tradition? Explain.
14. Some critics feel that the major theme of the poem is the struggle between good and evil. Tell why you agree or disagree.
15. How does the society of the Danes and the Geats change in the course of the poem?