Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | MonkeyNotes
_____ 1. A question that is on Holden's mind and is the subject of several conversations is
A. Why did the children in the museum choose to visit the Egyptian mummies?
_____ 2. According to Holden, Ernie the piano player, the Lunts, and Laurence Olivier
A. confuse art and entertainment
_____ 3. "Then all of a sudden, I got in this big mess" introduces the episode
A. of Holden's expulsion from school
_____ 4. After Maurice and Sonny leave Holden,
A. he considers suicide but rejects it in favor of revenge
_____ 5. The meeting with the nuns reminds Holden of
A. his change of heart about religion
_____ 6. Holden buys a record for Phoebe and
A. brings it home to her although it is broken
_____ 7. Holden's date with Sally ends
A. with an innocent kiss
_____ 8. Holden says,
A. "Maybe all bores have some secret talent"
_____ 9. Holden shows he may have arrived at a point of maturity when he
A. determines to "make it" on his own
_____ 10. Which is not true of Phoebe?
A. She lies to her mother about smoking
11. How does Holden feel about his parents?
12. Discuss Holden's failed attempts to communicate with people.
13. Discuss the importance of Allie in Holden's life.
14. How typical do you think Holden Caulfield is?
15. Draw a character sketch of Holden at twenty-five or thirty years old.