Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | MonkeyNotes
TERM PAPER IDEAS
1. Compare Holden to Huckleberry Finn in terms of self-image, language,
2. Compare Holden to the main character of Stephen Crane's The Red
3. Analyze Salinger's success at writing comic dialogue.
4. Explain why you think the novel is optimistic or pessimistic.
5. Show how Holden's many references to movies reveal something about
6. Discuss Holden's comments about artists, such as the Lunts, Laurence
7. Discuss Holden's comments about sex.
8. Show how Holden is not as mature or sophisticated as he would like
9. Discuss the various definitions of phony Holden uses throughout the
10. Discuss the use of sports imagery in the book, including Holden's red
11. If you've read any of the books Holden mentions, discuss his opinion of
12. Describe the differences in Holden in the three sections of the novel.
13. Evaluate Holden's attitude toward children.
14. Analyze the changes in Holden's speech patterns when he's talking to
15. Discuss the importance of Central Park in the novel.
16. Analyze the relationship between Holden and Phoebe, as it shows itself
17. Discuss Holden's attitude toward material possessions.
18. Contrast the conversation Holden has with Mr. Spencer and the one he
19. Show how the weekend Holden tells us about is related to his daydreams
20. Explain Holden's attitude toward successful lawyers, and show what this
21. Explain why you think Holden does or does not belong in the hospital or
22. Discuss the differences in Holden's attitude toward Phoebe, Allie, and
23. Show how Holden's flair for lying is or is not helpful to him in
24. Describe a school or educational system that Holden would find
25. Describe three different people-his own age or older-that Holden would