Support the Monkey! Tell All your Friends and Teachers
Table of Contents
TERM PAPER IDEAS
1. Discuss the theme of revenge. Which characters seek revenge, and
why? How do you think Dickens regards revenge?
2. Discuss the theme of forgiveness. Which characters show forgiveness
3. Discuss the theme of education. Compare Pip's various teachers and
4. Discuss one character other than Pip who has "great expectations."
5. Look at each of Pip's "fathers"- Joe, Jaggers, Magwitch, and
7. Compare Bentley Drummle and Pip.
8. What scene do you think shows Pip at his worst? Discuss in detail
how Dickens shows Pip as a flawed human being.
9. Compare Miss Havisham and Magwitch, as patrons, as parents, and as
10. Compare and contrast Mrs. Joe and Mrs. Matthew Pocket, as mothers