Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | MonkeyNotes
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. "Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible / To feeling as to sight?" is a reference to the
A. ghost of Banquo
_____ 2. Lady Macbeth confessed that she would have killed King Duncan herself except for the fact that
A. she couldn't gain easy access to his bedchamber
_____ 3. Shakespeare introduced the Porter in order to
A. allow Macduff to gain admission to the castle
_____ 4. Malcolm and Donalbain flee after the murder
A. because they fear the daggers in men's smiles
_____ 5. Macbeth arranges for Banquo's death by telling the hired killers that
A. Banquo had thwarted their careers
_____ 6. Macbeth startles his dinner guests by
A. conversing with the Ghost of Banquo
_____ 7. The Witches threw into the cauldron
I. eye of bat and tongue of frog II. wool of bat and tongue of dog III. fang of snake and eagle's glare
A. I and II
_____ 8. The three apparitions which appeared to Macbeth were
I. an armed head II. a child with a crown III. a bloody child
A. I and II
_____ 9. In Act IV, Malcolm is at first lukewarm toward Macduff because he
A. wasn't prepared to overthrow Macbeth B. suspects a trick C. wasn't worthy of becoming king, in his opinion
_____ 10. Birnam Wood comes to Dunsinane when
A. the witches rendezvous with Macbeth
11. What is the significance of the line "Fair is foul, and foul is fair" (I, i, 10)?
12. How does Macbeth function as a morality play?
13. How does Shakespeare use the technique of dramatic irony in Macbeth?
14. How does Lady Macbeth overcome her husband's resistance to the idea of killing King Duncan?
15. Contrast Macduff's response to the news of his wife's and children's deaths with Macbeth's response to being told Lady Macbeth is dead.