Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Explain how the plot of the book is developed and resolved, using specific details.
2. Describe Paul Baumer as a person. Compare and contrast him to Katczinsky, Muller, and Kropp.
3. Who is Kantorek and what is his importance to the book?
4. What was German warfare like in World War I, as presented in the book? Give specific details.
5. What is the main theme of the book and how is it developed?
6. Explain the use of contrast in the novel, giving specific examples.
7. How does Baumer learn that the enemy is not just faceless, nameless people? Be specific in your response.
8. What are Remarque's opinions of the military leaders and medical community in the novel? How is this brought out in the book?
9. Explore Baumer's relationship with his friends and contrast this with his relationship with his family.
10. Explain the meaning of the title, All Quiet on the Western Front.
11. What important images and symbols are used in the book?
12. What ironies are found in the book?
13. Do you feel the book is realistic? Why or why not?