Table of Contents
Board | Printable
4. What indication do we have of Pecola’s actual looks, outside of her low self-perception?
5. How does the depiction of Cholly or Pauline change over the course of the narrative? How does your idea of them change?
6. What is the role of Claudia in the novel?
7. Why does Morrison have three sexual abusers in the novel (Cholly, Mr. Henry, and Soaphead Church)? What are the similarities and differences among them?
8. Compare the mother figures in the novel, including the three prostitutes who mother Pecola.
9. Contrast church women’s ways of coping with poverty, racism, and sexism with the prostitutes’ ways of coping.
10. Evaluate the images of the South in the novel. Is the South depicted nostalgically, realistically, or both?