Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Who is the protagonist of the novel and what is his antagonist? Support your answer with details.
2. Compare and contrast Danny and Reuven.
3. How is the friendship between Danny and Reuven begun?
5. Compare and contrast the basic personalities and beliefs of Mr. Malter and Rabbi Saunders.
6. Compare and contrast the two father-son relationships in the novel.
7. How does Reb Saunders finally get through to his son in the midst of his silence?
8. Describe Mr. Malter's relationship with Danny. What is his influence on him?
9. What is Zionism and what troubles does it cause in the book?
10. Does the book end in comedy or tragedy and why?
11. What is a key irony in the book about the career choices of Danny and Reuven?
12. What does Danny realize about his father by the end of the book?
13. What is the meaning of the title of the book?
14. What part does World War II play in the book?