Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. The core story of the novel covers only three days. What are the major events that occur during that time period?
2. How does the reader learn what has happened after the accident?
3. Compare and contrast Zeena and Mattie?
4. Why is Ethan Frome such a pathetic character?
5. Why is the setting important to the story?
6. How does Edith Wharton make it believable that Mattie and Ethan would
try to commit suicide?
8. Why is the story a tragedy?
9. How does Edith Wharton hold the story together as a whole when it
is interrupted with a Prologue and an Epilogue?