Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Give an account of Jane's life of desolation at Gateshead Hall.
2. How does Jane's stay at Lowood help her to control her feelings?
3. Recount Jane's experiences at Thornfield Hall, and show how she identifies herself with the place.
4. Discuss the physical, emotional and spiritual chill Jane experiences at Moor House.
5. Describe Jane's reunion with Rochester at Fernhead.
6. Examine the relationship between character and atmosphere in Jane Eyre.
7. Comment on the plot of Jane Eyre.
8. Attempt a character sketch of Jane Eyre.
9. "The major male character in Jane Eyre is Rochester." Elaborate.
10. Show how Edward Rochester is preferable to St. John Rivers as a spouse for Jane Eyre.
11. Comment on the virtues of Helen Burns. How does she contribute to Jane's happiness at Lowood School?
12. What is the role of Alice Fairfax in the novel?
13. Show how Jane Eyre is a novel that demonstrates the importance of a woman standing up for herself.
14. Discuss Blanche Ingram as a foil to Jane.
15. How does Maria Temple contribute to Jane's happiness at Lowood?
16. Describe Adèle Varens.
17. Compare Rosamond Oliver and Jane Eyre.
18. Comment on Charlotte Brontë's treatment of love in the novel.
19. What features of a Gothic romance can be found in Jane Eyre?
20. Explain the poetic symbolism in the novel.