Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. What does Shaara believe caused the Civil War?
2. Does Shaara sympathize more with the realist Longstreet or the idealist Lee?
3. Which is more important: loyalty to family or loyalty to government?
4. According to Shaara, are there any rules of war?
5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Shaara’s switching point of views?
6. Was Fremantle an effective character or did he not fit with the somberness of the rest of the novel?
7. What is the purpose of Shaara’s detailing the Armistead-
8. Could this book have worked from a limited third person point of view? First person?
9. Should Shaara have included McClellan as a main character?
10. Is Buford a well-developed character?