Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Comment on the author’s style in his use of symbols and imagery in Moby Dick.
2. Discuss the autobiographical elements of Moby Dick.
3. Compare the principal character Ahab to Starbuck and analyze their relationship.
4. What is the significance of Father Mapple and the sermon he gives?
5. Discuss the portrayal of Ishmael. What evidence is there from Melville’s background that he and Ishmael are similar?
6. Discuss the relationship between Ishmael and Queequeg. How does their friendship occur despite the obvious cultural differences they have? How are their outlooks on life similar?