Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Explain the ways in which the play violates traditional theatrical conventions?
2. Describe the Stage Manager and how Wilder uses him in the play. Why does he become a unifying element?
3. Compare and contrast Editor Webb and Doc Gibbs. What purposes do they serve in the play?
4. Compare and contrast Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs. What purposes do they serve in the play?
5. Compare and contrast the milkman (Howie Newsome) and the paperboy (Joe Crowell.) What purposes do they serve in the play? 6. Who is the main character of the play and why is she/he considered the main character?
9. What is the main theme of the play and how is it developed? 10. Wilder uses flashbacks and flashforwards in the play. List at least two of each and explain if 11. you think they are effective in the play.
12. How does Wilder give the play universal appeal? 13. Why does the play end as a tragedy?