Table of Contents | Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
STUDY QUESTIONS: Comprehension and Discussion (continued)
16. Who comes to visit at Christmas time? (Uncle Hammer)
15a. Discuss the things that make Hammerís new car more than just a car.
17. What has happened just prior to Hammerís visit? (The incident in Strawberry)
16a. Why do Mama and Mr. Morrison try to stop Hammer from going into town? What is wrong with Hammerís way of solving problems?
18. What should have been done in order to prevent Cassie from getting in trouble in Strawberry? (Discussion)
19. If you had been in Cassieís shoes, what do you think you would have said/done regarding Lillian Jean? (Discussion)
20. Do you feel that Big Ma was right or wrong in making Cassie apologize? (Discussion)
21. How does Mama deal with the childrenís disobedience? (Takes them to visit the Berrys)
18a. Why is this more effective than whipping them?
22. Characterize the relationship Big Ma had with her husband Paul Edward. (Discussion)
23. What technique does the author use to reveal information from the past? (Storytelling)
19a. Explain why Papa insists that the children be permitted to hear Mr. Morrisonís story. What does the story tell them about themselves and their own familyís situation?
24. Discuss the elements that contribute to the hesitancy of the other sharecroppers to shop in Vicksburg. (Discussion)
25. Who makes it possible for the farmers to do their shopping in Vicksburg? (Mr. Jamison)
22a. Explain how the credit system works at the Wallace store. How is this system fair or unfair to the sharecroppers?
26. Explain why Mr. Avery backs out of the Vicksburg arrangement. (Discussion)
27. Explain how white people used Christianity during slavery. (Discussion)
28. Why had Papa Lukeís owners not tried to break him? ( He had medicinal knowledge they needed)
29. Explain how white people justified slavery. (Discussion)
30. How did northerners who fought against slavery feel about black people? (They still thought they were not quite as good as whites.)
31. According to Mama, what element of our lives do we have a choice over? (What we make of it once we are here.)
32. Explain Uncle Hammerís reaction once he discovers that Stacey has given away the coat. (Discussion)
32a. Do you think Hammer was too hard on Stacey? Why or why not?
33. What does Hammer do on the way home from church that makes Mama fearful? (Deliberately tricks the Wallaces into letting him cross the bridge first)
34. What treasure did each of the children receive for Christmas? (Books)
35. Why do you think Stacey is hesitant about letting Jeremy into the house on Christmas day?