Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Discuss the chronology of The Sound and the Fury. What is the thematic significance of Easter weekend in the plot?
2. Describe Benjy as a Christ figure and Jason as a satanic character.
3. Why do you think Faulkner chose to have a chapter for each of the Compson boys, but not one for Caddy, the Compson girl?
4. List five symbols in the text of The Sound and the Fury. (Example: Quentin's watch, given to him by his grandfather.) Write a short paragraph for each symbol, explaining its significance.
6. Do you think Caddy is the organizing center of The Sound and the Fury? Give reasons.
7. Do you think The Sound and the Fury is a tragedy of two women? Discuss.
8. Why did Quentin commit suicide?
9. Discuss each main character's response to order and structure in life.