Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Describe the basic character traits of Francie and how they are developed in the novel.
2. The novel is really a coming of age story of Francie Nolan. Describe how she matures in the novel.
3. What is the setting of the novel (both time and place) and why is it important?
4. Contrast how Katie treats Francie to how she treats Neeley, giving specific examples.
5. Compare and contrast Katie and Francie.
6. Compare and contrast Katie and her two sisters, Evy and Sissy.
7. What lessons did Katie's mother, Mary Rommely, teach her that she passes on to her children?
9. What is the climax of the novel and how does it change things for the Nolan family?
10. Compare and contrast the love that Francie has for Ben with that she has for Lee?
11. What jobs does Francie hold during the novel? Which is her favorite and why? What kind of worker does she prove herself to be?
12. In spite of the poverty and other problems presented in the novel, there is also much humor. Explain which three incidents you found to be the most humorous.
13. How does the novel end as a comedy for Francie and Katie?
14. How is the novel autobiographical?