Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
TERM PAPER IDEAS
• THE NOVEL
1. Is 1984 a prophetic novel or a logical extension of history as it was in 1948, the year the book was finished
2. How did Soviet history influence the novel?
3. Is 1984 a political novel or is it really about the loneliness of the thinking man? Support your opinion.
• LITERARY TOPICS
1. Write about 1984 as satire, giving examples of Orwell's humor.
2. How does Orwell use detail to get comic effect? You can use the Parsons family as an example.
3. What is the significance of the paperweight in the novel? What does it mean to Winston? To the design of the novel?
4. What is the purpose of Newspeak words in the novel?
5. Write about the function of memory and nostalgia in the novel, basing your discussion on Winston's thoughts about the past and the objects he collects.
6. How does Orwell exaggerate to make his point? Use the proles fighting over saucepans and Winston's job as examples.
• THE PARTY
1. How does the Party use revisionism to its own purposes? Why do the people believe the Party is telling the truth?
2. Write about the telescreens and their effect on people.
3. Who is Big Brother, and what is his function is society?
4. How is the society of 1984 like our society today?
5. How is the society of 1984 different from U.S. society and Soviet society today?
6. Could Big Brother take over in America? Why? Why not?
7. How does 1984 reflect the author's illness and depression?
8. What is the function of Goldstein's book in the novel?
9. The Goldstein book helps/hinders the story. Explain.