Table of Contents | Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
1. Describe Elie Wiesel as a young boy in Sighet. How does he change by the end of the novel?
2. Explain the relationship between Elie and his father, giving specific examples from the book.
3. When does the climax occur and why is it the climax?
4. There are many vivid descriptions of how the Jews are tortured by the Nazis. Give the two examples that struck you as most vivid.
5. Elie makes several journeys in the book. Explain where and how is travelling and then compare and contrast each journey. Explain which one you feel was the worst and why.
6. Why do the prisoners themselves become animalistic and how do they show it?
7. What happens to Elie's father from the time he arrives at
Buchenwald until the end of the book?
8. Elie weeps (cries) several times in the book; explain when and why. Explain one time he does not weep when it would be expected.
9. What does Elie see when he looks in the mirror at the end of the book? Why is this significant?
10. Explain two of the Themes in the novel and how they are developed.
11. Explain the meaning of the title of the book.
12. Why is the book a complete tragedy?