Support the Monkey! Tell All your Friends and Teachers
A STEP BEYOND
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. What is one of the major themes of Pride and Prejudice?
A. Women's rights
_____ 2. What is an entail?
A. The consequences of a decision
_____ 3. What attracts Darcy to Elizabeth Bennet?
A. Her fortune
_____ 4. What argument by Darcy discourages Bingley from courting Jane Bennet?
A. Jane's apparent indifference to Bingley
_____ 5. Why does Charlotte Lucas marry Mr. Collins?
A. She loves him
_____ 6. Elizabeth criticizes her father as a husband because he
_____ 7. Darcy's manner changes from haughty coldness to courtesy and warmth to
A. impress Caroline Bingley
8. Charlotte Bronte said that Jane Austen explored everything about her characters except their hearts. What did she mean? Do you agree?
9. Is Charlotte Lucas right to marry Mr. Collins?
10. Good manners are of great importance in Pride and Prejudice. Do you think this emphasis is justified?
11. Privilege and responsibility are linked in Pride and Prejudice. What do you think of this linkage? Does it still exist in our own times?
12. Judging by the marriages described in Pride and Prejudice, what do you think was Jane Austen's opinion of marriage? Did she see it as a source of happiness? Unhappiness? Was it a blessing, or a necessary evil?