Support the Monkey! Tell All your Friends and Teachers
_____ 1. Wickham elopes with Lydia Bennet
A. because he loves her
_____ 2. When Mrs. Bennet learns of Lydia's elopement, she is most worried about Lydia's
_____ 3. Mr. Bennet says he likes Wickham best of his three sons-in-law because Wickham is
_____ 4. Mr. Collins warns Mr. Bennet against letting Elizabeth marry Darcy because
A. Darcy is untrustworthy
_____ 5. Jane and Bingley will make a happy marriage because they
A. both like to dance
_____ 6. A critic points out that Elizabeth and Darcy must "work their way" to love and marriage. Why?
A. They hardly know each other
_____ 7. Darcy says that Lady Catherine was responsible for his second and successful proposal of marriage to Elizabeth. How?
A. By telling him what Elizabeth said, she gave him hope
8. Jane Austen is noted for her treatment of relationships. Discuss her handling of relationships in Pride and Prejudice.
9. Pride is the first word in Jane Austen's title. What is her concept of this trait?
10. Like Darcy's pride, Elizabeth's prejudice undergoes a sequence of change. Trace the progress of this change.
11. Pride and Prejudice has been successfully adapted to the theater, motion pictures, and television. What is the quality of Jane Austen's skill that has made these dramatic adaptations so successful?
12. Some readers interpret Pride and Prejudice as a feminist novel. Can you make an argument for this interpretation?