Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Do you think that Wang, who, all his life believed in virtue and hard work, was justified in the plundering of the old mansion in Kiangsu? Elaborate on your views.
2. Who is Lotus Blossom? Explain your reaction to Wang's bringing her to his home to live.
3. Why did Wang Lung take in another concubine, Pear Blossom, at such late stage of his life?
4. Explain if it turned out to be a good or bad decision.
6. Give a character sketch of O-Lan.
7. Explain why Wang is the protagonist of the novel.
8. What is the importance of the House of Hwang in Wang's life?
9. Explain at least four Chinese customs that are shown and developed
in the novel.
12. What is the opinion of Wang and other Chinese men in the novel about