PinkMonkey Online Study Guide-Biology
3. Write short notes on :
(b) History of antibiotics
(d) Preparation of alcohol
Chapter 11 : Evolution of Life
1. Give an account of Darwin’s theory of natural selection.
2. Describe the factors that support the concept of evolution.
3. Describe the findings which support the idea that organisms have a common origin.
4. What is the source of biologically variability ?
5. Define adaptation, and explain convergent and divergent adaptation.
6. Define a species, and describe how specification take place.
7. Describe the main observations that support the idea of evolution.
Chapter 12 : Human Evolution
1. What is ‘human’ ? Classify the human species. How it is similar to other species and how does it differ ?
2. What are primates ? Trace the proposed line of history leading to the evolution of the human species.
3. What are the relationships between the Neanderthals, Cro-Magnon and the modern human ?
4. How did the following contribute to further development of Homo-species
(a) development of erect posture and bipedilism
(b) development of brain
(c) use of hands, especially with opposable thumbs
(d) taming of fire.
5. Write short notes on the following, citing the importance of each in human evolution.
(a) Homo erectus
(b) Neanderthal man
(c) The Cro-magnons
(f) Brachian locomotion
(g) Paleontological evidence of human evolution
Chapter 13 : The Unity and Diversity of Life
1. Write a note on concept of species.
2. Write in brief about the binomial system of nomenclature.
3. What is meant by taxonomic hierarchy? Explain with suitable examples.
4. Write notes on:
(b) Numerical taxonomy
(d) Biological species
Chapter 14 : Viruses
1. What is a virus ? Describe the general characteristics of a virus.
2. Describe the structure and chemical composition of virus.
3. Give the significance of viruses.
4. Classify viruses, giving suitable examples. Name human diseases caused by viruses.